Monday, May 2, 2016

Introduction

In this series of blog posts, I will write about my experience installing the Blacklight search app on a virtual private server (VPS) hosted by Bluehost.

Blacklight is built on the Ruby on Rails framework. While installing Blacklight on a local computer and running it on the local computer's server is relatively simple, I have not found a detailed tutorial describing the start to finish process for installing it on a commercial hosting service server. Bluehost does not offer technical support for Ruby on Rails, but they do have a few pages on their website that offer piecemeal information that comes in helpful when combined with other resources on the Web.

These blog posts will describe in as much detail as possible the steps to successfully install not only a Ruby on Rails app, but specifically a Blacklight search app, on a VPS hosted by Bluehost.

Pre-installation

Before getting started with the install, you will need to set up a VPS hosting service with Bluehost. You can view the pricing plans and server details on this page. This installation is happening on the 12-month Standard VPS hosting plan. I imagine following this tutorial with a VPS from a different hosting service would work, but I can't promise it will be exactly the same.

If you haven't worked with Ruby on Rails before, I recommend working through one or more Ruby on Rails tutorials. Codecademy offers a free and fun introduction/tutorial for setting up a Ruby on Rails app.

I also recommend heading over to the Blacklight project's website and at the very least reading through their quickstart guide.

I am no expert at Ruby on Rails, but will hopefully pull this off using resources like these (along with some trial and error, of course).

Why VPS?

Great question. The initial attempt to create this Blacklight app was done on a shared hosting service plan with Bluehost. This did not succeed because Blacklight has minimum version requirements for Ruby, Rails, and Java.

The shared hosting plan does offer Ruby on Rails app creation through cPanel, but the version of Java installed on the shared servers was not high enough to run the Blacklight app. If you are just looking to create a simple Ruby on Rails app, you can do so on the shared hosting plan. However, if you are trying to create a specific app, such as Blacklight, that requires more up-to-date software, you will need to go with the VPS plan or a dedicated server plan. Bluehost assured me that we have enough control to install whatever versions of Ruby, Rails, and Java we need to run the app. Let's hope they're right!


1 comment:

  1. The article provided by you is very nice and it is very helpful to know the more information.keep update with your blogs .I found a article related to you..once you can check it out.Ruby on Rails Online course India

    ReplyDelete